Saturday 22 April 2017

This & That


We are back from our holiday and back to work.  I have taken on a few more teaching sessions for the next six weeks until the GCSEs.  I am saving the extra money to buy a polytunnel for the allotment so that I can extend the growing season.  Apart from an abundance of rhubarb, I have had a very special harvest.  Five years ago I planted some asparagus crowns and nothing came of them.  Last year I threw a load of chive seeds into what I thought was a redundant bed.  Well, asparagus obviously like chives because this year it has begun poking its head through the soil.  Here are my first ever two asparagus spears and more will be ready later in the week.  Unfortunately, I adore asparagus but a few years ago I developed quite a violent reaction whenever I ate it, so now I am growing it just for Pete.



Easter weekend was busy preparing for teaching the following week, but we did get Easter Monday out.  All my boys, their wives and my grandchildren joined us at The East Anglian Railway Museum for a Thomas the Tank Engine Event.  It was a fabulous day and the kids loved it.  They rode on the different trains, played in the playground, walked round the very child friendly exhibits and watched Dusty and Rusty performing their daft antics.  Young Bobby was particularly taken with the model railway layouts and kept going back to watch them going round and round.  My Mum and Dad joined us for our picnic.  All in all, a fabulous day out, precious memories.





And finally a picture of my boys - Lads On Tour at Thomas the Tank Engine (how times change as they grow up!).  I am so proud of these boys and my heart swells every time I look at this picture xxx




5 comments:

  1. What a lovely picture of your boys. The Thomas event sounds like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much like the train. If only our rail company would get a bit of humour into it's self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely picture of your boys. I love it when our whole family gets together too : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful outing with your family. I love the photo of the children in the tire swing . . . adorable. They are all so close in age; how wonderful that will be growing up together. I want to find some asparagus crowns to plant, I know they take a long time to produce . . . so sorry to hear that you can't eat them anymore.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good deal about the asparagus. I had two small beds in the floating garden, but when the rotten end boards had to be replaced they got dug up. Now I have lots more space for things that produce for longer periods. But I did love that "free" asparagus. - Margy

    ReplyDelete