Wednesday 19 September 2012

Update

Hi everyone, sorry for such a long absence but I've had the usual Internet difficulties! I've had a couple of days off work to get the allotment back up to scratch. As you can see from the pictures, we have now carpeted between the beds, which hopefully should keep the weeds down. There is also the added bonus that when I weed the beds it is very comfortable on my knees! I've not done too well this year with veggies, so I am hoping that the weather will hold out long enough for me to get a reasonable crop of winter squash. I have just planted some kale and spring greens and sorted out a bed to plant some garlic shortly. The beds that are going to be put to bed for the winter will be newspapered and mulched in an effort to keep the weeds down next year. We have had a good crop of garlic this year, so that is two years running we have been self sufficient in garlic. Let's hope for a better summer next year!!!

5 comments:

  1. Looks good to me and rather prolific, just wish I had green fingers like you Fran.
    So well done.
    Unlike here where the Pear tree has not produced a single fruit neither have the wild damson trees and blackthorns. Fortunately I received several kg's of small wild red plums- which I shall be using to make plum brandy for a special day in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We invested in black (or brown) woven weed suppresant for winter protection. It lets the rain through but keeps the weeds at bay. I think it was about £16 a roll but goes a long way. We cut it to fit each bed individually then before it is put away in spring, it is given a wash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We missed you, Fran. Glad to see you back and still busy with your produce. It all looks pretty prolific. I shall echo Mel there. Wish I had your green fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. need to make a start on digging up the potatoes, I am so behind in my gardening.

    Well done on all you've got done.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel - do tell - what special day? Your 40th by any chance? X
    Datacreata - the weed suppressant is a good idea for the beds, I will check it out at the garden centre x
    Val - I don't really have green fingers, just luck now and again!
    Gill - my potatoes were hopeless this year, so I am quite envious x

    ReplyDelete